Chasing Dolphins in the Gulf of Naples With Go Eco

 Arriving in Naples in the hight of Summer is an experience in and of itself. The busy chaotic streets reminded me of Marrakesh but I was reminded of my proximity to the sea by the 94% humidity.

This is my first time traveling alone or volunteering abroad but it’s something I have always wanted to do. As an environmental science graduate I saw a future in research and I have always been passionate about conservation. However, 6 years later my feat are firmly planted in advertising and doing anything remotely environmental for work is no longer on my radar. 

This is one of the reasons I booked this trip through Go Eco was I wanted to have a truly unique experience while also challenging myself and learning new things. I also wanted, as an animal lover, to see animas and help protect them. 



So there I was in Naples with no Italian trying to find my way to the Island of Ischia to live on a boat for a week. This trip would challenge both my fear of deep water, boats and the open ocean but the prospect of being able to see dolphins had given me the courage to book. The project would be monitoring and researching whale and dolphin behaviour. 



I arrived with slight heat stroke on the island and managed to find my way to the rustic Jean Gap in the marina. After a snack and a sea sickness tablet I was in awe of the unspoilt beauty of the island a small volcanic island off the coast of Naples with far far less tourism than Capri - which is opposite. 


After a night sleeping on deck, we set sail onto the calm blue ocean to look for whales and dolphins (or cetations as they are called). We set out for a full day at sea and were instructed to sit on the deck and watch the ocean for any signs of life. We saw nothing but blue water stretching out for miles the first day, but broke up the day with a little jump into the sea to cool off.


After a few days of being out all day watching the ocean for any sign of life it became clear how much trouble the ocean is in. We saw large amounts of rubbish and plastic floating but very little marine life. One of the most exciting moments of the first 4 days is when I spotted a lone manta Rae gliding past the boat 



We used the hydrophone to monitor the clicks and squeaks but we saw nothing but blue as we sales endlessly around the terrain and sea.



Then on the 5th day we were heading back to the island when a number of clicks and squeaks from dolphins could be heard on the hydrophone. As we tried to find where we all gazed endlessly out into the ocean. After an hour it seemed like another fruitless day and we were all coming to the realise we may not see anything on the trip.



It was then we saw them. A large group of striped dolphins 50m ahead! 


It was clear they had seen us to but as we sailed towards them they enjoyed dipping diving and splashing around the boat. I hung on to the stern and leaned over to watch them play teasing us disappearing and then leaping out and twisting through the air. They were not scared at all, you could see how playful they were and how they enjoyed swimming alongside the sailing boat. 



The large group of around 14 dolphins enjoyed playing and swimming near the boat for a while before they spend off into the open ocean. 


We felt so lucky to have seen the dolphins and this was the only sighting on the trip - but I am glad we saw some! It was a very special experience although it was so far out my comfort zone and I felt inspired to pay more attention to what is happening with the marine life in the UK. 


Funding for projects like this comes from volunteers who assist in the research but also foot the bill for the whole project. Doing something like this might not be the best option for everyone but it is a truly unique holiday/travel Experience. 


Eco tourism like this can be a very special way to have a holiday and travel while supporting conservation work all around the world. They can serve as a holiday alone or be tied in with a longer trip which is what I did myself. 


Travel and tourism can place a huge strain on local wildlife and the impact of tourism around the bay of Naples along with pollution is having a huge impact on the marine life. If you would like to know more about the GoEco volunteer programs click here, and if you would like to know more about Eco tourism click here.


All Photos Credited To The Wonderful Artist Britta Wahlers.




Make sure you stay in touch on Instagram or Pinterest!

No comments