Top 5 Hikes to do in North Wales





With less people than Snowdon and views that will take your breath away the Carneddau are stunning. There are many different routes you can take up to the main peak which is Carnedd Llywelyn - the second highest peak in Wales, all with varying ability. One of my favorite things about this area is that it truly feels remote. Snowdon is plagued by people and you don't feel like its much of an adventure anymore.The Carneddau on the other-hand is remote enough that you feel that you can have a true adventure - especially if you enter from the East. 









Of course Snowdon is on this list! Yes it is touristy and I have been here too many times, that being said there are quite a few ways to experience hiking Snowdon and many routes to the top! If you have never climbed Snowdon before, I would recommend going up and down the Pyg and Miners tracks. These have the best views and are clearly marked, they are also relatively easy; if you want more of a challenge or a different experience I would recommend the Watkin Path or Crib Goch...but only if you don't mind heights. 



If you have attempted Snowdon in the past, I would recommend going at night for sunrise which is one of the most beautiful ways to see the mountain. We climbed up and down the Llanberis path to capture this morning sunrise in May/June. 




Another of my favorite walks in North Wales is Cadair Idris which is similar to Snowdon but with a much steeper assent than most of the routes up Snowdon. Cadair Idris is in Southern Snowdonia and is one of my favorite mountains especially on clear days when you can see the see and down into Barmouth from the top. 


I have mentioned a couple of times my love for this walk! It is truly one of my favorites and, combined with a visit to the waterfall near the base of the mountain - it can be quite a substantial walk. The waterfall nearby is also one of the reasons I would recommend this walk as one of the top ones to do in North Wales. 


 
5. Glyderau 
Just opposite Snowdon is Glyder Fawr and Glyder Fach which encircle Cwm Idwal. Stunning views but a difficult hike - this is one of my favorite areas in Wales although I only ever have been there in Winter when it is extremely cold. I would recommend for anyone who enjoys hiking and is planning a trip to North Wales!




 
I hope you enjoyed my top 5 hikes in North Wales and if you would like to try any I have linked the routes above. Relying on stay-cations for my holidays and weekends away has resulted in much more exploring of my local beauty spots for my adventures - which is both good and bad! If you are interested in seeing some of the other areas I have explored in Wales recently click HERE and if you would like to see my list of sustainable outdoor clothing brands click HERE :)






1 comment

Tay said...

I would love to hike Cadair Berwyn...seems Majestic! I live in the States so any of these hikes would be a dream come true.