13 Top Tips for selling on Depop - Ethical Fashion edit


As my last post on Depop tips went down so well I thought I would do a new one with my top tips and what I have learnt a year on. If you are just getting started with Depop you can read my first post here. 

I wanted to do a post on top tips and tried and tested methods of selling things as I have really struggled to sell on Depop. I watched multiple videos etc on how to sell faster/more but I felt like most of them weren't that helpful or honest. 

So here it is a completely honest guide to selling on Depop with all the tips no one talks about or really says - yes some of them are spammy but it will help you sell.

1. Good Pictures

Ok, this first one is a given, even if you cant try it on make sure the picture is clear with lots of natural light and you photograph any stains or marks for people to see.

2. Accurate descriptions 

I am awful at this as it can be very time consuming but it does help you sell your items faster. Make sure you describe the item, where you got it, how many times it has been worn, any marks or stains, what it would be good to pair it with etc. so people can visualise what they could wear it with.

3. Use Hashtags 

Depop has now limited the hashtags to only 5 on each post which for me has really impacted my sales. Try and pic really relevant things or if it is a certain style like 'milkmaid' etc.

4. Always keep proof of postage 

This can come back to bite you and it has for me recently - luckily I kept the proof of postage so I could prove it was sent. If you don't a buyer can force Paypal to take the money from you even if you have posted it - and you don't want that!

5. Be helpful but don't get taken for a ride

If you get asked a question always answer it quickly and if someone wants pictures of the item with you wearing it it is nice to oblige them! However, many people ask questions to waste time and if you get the feeling you are being led down the garden path don't waste your time taking loads of photos etc.

6. Re-post items

No one tells you to do this but this will massively affect your sales! It is so important to repost the items you are selling every day if possible. This will keep them at the top of the feed when people are searching for items! Just click edit on your item, don't make any changes and post it again!

7. Organise your shop 

If someone likes and item that you have posted they may want to browse your shop! Make sure all your items are in order and can be seen clearly as they scroll down the page.

8. Move all sold items to the bottom

This can be frustrating if you want to browse someone's shop. Make sure you move all sold items to the bottom of your page. This can be done easily on a desktop as there is a button that isn't on the app. 

9. Post every day

New fresh items being put up every day will help keep people interested and will make them want to follow you. You also have more of a chase of getting on the first page of depop (which has only happened to me once); being on this page only happens if you take brill pictures and have more of a theme to your shop. When you are on the front page of depop LOADS of people will like your item and follow your shop so for any seller this is the ultimate aim.

10. Share your shop

There is now a function to share your shop on social media! Make sure you do this to gain exposure - people you know already may want to buy from you!

11. Follow loads of people 

Some people will follow you back when you follow them so make sure you follow loads of people! The only other ways to gain followers is either to get on the front page on Depop or be selling highly sought after items ( or have a theme to your page). 

12. Follow people who like items like yours

This is one of my TOP TIPS that I have never seen anyone else talk about online. If you have for example a CK crop top, search for other people that are selling the same item. Then click on who has liked the item and follow them. They will already be interested in the item you are selling so following them will result in them maybe having a look at your page and seeing your item... sneaky!

13. Do bundles and offers

The function for this is in settings and will give buyers free postage if they buy a bundle. Switching this on will increase sales and help you upsell to people.


I hope you all enjoyed my post and you can find my Depop shop here. I hope that this was helpful and post below if any of my tips helped you sell your items faster!





2 comments

Mariya Zafirova said...

Very good tips! I don't use it but if I do, I'll definitely follow your tips!

Mariya | https://www.brunetteondemand.com/

Ethical Bunny said...

Thank you, I'm enjoying selling on there at the moment but it is quite hard when you start xx