What I ate in Gdansk Poland - Gluten and Dairy Free




Me again! A little bit of a different topic today but something I wanted to do something I have I though about for a while! I have been dairy and gluten free since 2014 and I know how difficult some people can find it to find nice things to eat. This is made so much worse when I go travelling or if I am going somewhere new because how do I know what food is safe or what food they do in other countries? It can be hard and it is one of the things that personally puts me off travelling! 

I wanted to start doing some blogs about what I eat when I go away on holiday, let me know if you would like to see more and find this helpful! 

Personally, Poland and the food worried me a little before I went. Every time you ask someone what to eat in Poland all you hear about is big lumps of pork potato and cabbage (all of which I quite like, but I didn't want to be restricted). Most people also said there is a lot of bread cream and cheese in things so needless to say finding food to eat there was a concern of mine. I was also concerned about finding people who spoke English so I could ask what was in food if I needed clarification. 

We stayed in an Air bnb so we went to the supermarket to get our own breakfast things which was good for me as I could get cereal and almond milk and eggs etc. So the meals we had to find out were lunches and dinners. 

Waking through the streets of Gdansk at first I began to worry, among all the stunning crafts was A LOT of bread stalls and pastry shops. The first day there I found it quite stressful finding something to eat if I am honest. This was also amplified by it being the beginning of the holiday so I wanted to be more careful, than possibly at the end. One of the first big meals we had out was at a restaurant I cant tell you the name of but will put the address below! I just can't for the life of me find what it is called on google maps! It was traditional polish food of pork knuckle, friend potatoes and braised cabbage. I was content with this choice as I felt that it was best to have something simple that wont haven any hidden gluten. I really enjoyed this meal, and although it was quite simple it was packed with flavor! I am not sure what they cook their potato in but it makes them AMAZING! It was quite daunting as the portions are quite large but I couldn't fault it! Something I realized quite quickly however, is Polish people speak excellent English, so asking them questions about gluten and dairy free choices was very easy and they were extremely helpful! I wish I would have asked in this restaurant and they wouldn't have added a dollop of what I think was cream ha ha. Everywhere we went had brilliant customer service!


Długa 81, 80-831 Gdańsk, Poland - Aspiro 



Another lovely meal I had was this at 77 sushi on the waterfront! Japanese is often my fall back as its quite easy to get just rice and meat. Sushi is always a good choice however, I went for this Bento box which tasted amazing and was reasonably priced! I have had Bento boxes before in the UK but this was the best one I have ever had! It tasted so good and you even got a little chopped fruit pudding!
(Note: if you are very sensitive to gluten don't use soy sauce!)

Another place we enjoyed eating was this vegan canteen near the train station. I can't remember the name but there were lots of different dairy and gluten free options for a very reasonable price! Vegan curry and veggie burgers glore!


A la francaise is a lovely place that I wanted to go on the first day but they lost power. We managed to get there on the last day and I am glad we did! Originally I wanted to go here for a English breakfast, but I ended up trying this.., I have never had buckwheat before. I thought it had gluten in, but I was actually OK! One of the tastiest meals I have ever had it had egg chicken bacon and anchovy paste! A must!


No comments