Riverford Organics - Organic veg box review

As you all know I have been trying to eat more seasonal food this year. Local, fresh, better for me and the environment eating British has been something I've really been trying to do. 
Especially considering the political situation, I don't think there is any better time to support our local farms. However... finding fresh local food is tricky and if you don't want to trail around the supermarket or drive 15 miles to a farm shop it can be daunting. That seems to be the main motivation behind local veg box sachems. Easy, quick, healthy and seasonal produce delivered straight to your door! 


I decided to try one and did some local research on what was available in the area. I was pleasantly surprised to see at least 6-7 different companies offering this service however, none of them seemed to be as transparent or organic as I wanted. 

This is why when I eventually found Riverford I was so happy; although they are based in Devon they were exactly what I wanted. Everything is organic and most of it is grown in the UK and if it isn't it will say where it is from. The biggest thing for me was to get one that was seasonal with veggies that are grown in the UK and organic something the others didn't seem to be able to deliver on. 

This week by box had:

  • Potatoes UK
  • Onions UK
  • Carrots UK
  • Calabrese broccoli UK
  • Savoy cabbage UK
  • Swiss chard UK
  • Mixed salad leaves UK

All for £11.45 including delivery which I think is pretty good for organic veg and the amount I got will last me more than a week I think!



I am super excited to have had my box delivered (they deliver anywhere) and I hope it will encourage me to get back in the kitchen cooking tasty healthy food. I'm hoping to share some seasonal recipes with you all this month so keep an eye out for that!


2 comments

Beth T said...

I've been considering getting a veg box delivered - I want to eat more seasonal veg but have no idea where to start, so this takes the headache out of it I think. I'm off to see if Riverford do boxes in my area xx

Toasty

Ethical Bunny said...

Ive been really happy with this one.. It seemed like a lot of money at first but now I don't notice it going out of my bank. Also you get A LOT of veg, I got the box for 1-2 people and I cant finish it all on my own! I might have to go halfsies with my housemate just so I can eat it all up :)

xx