My 'That Girl Asthetic' Morning Routine

So anyone who knows me well knows how much I love my morning routine and how important it is for my mental and physical health. I have had a similar morning routine for the past 5 years and I have experimented with a lot during that time to find out what works and what makes me feel my best. Over the years the timings have varied as I have done different jobs, but it has always stayed fairly constant and consistent although timings will have changed slightly 

I thought I would jump on the 'That Girl' bandwagon with this post as it is something I enjoy so much and really helps me day to day. If like me you are someone who struggles with mental health or organisation issues having a strict and constant morning routine is something that will enhance your wellbeing and reduce stress. The goal of my routine is to ensure that I keep on top of my responsibilities, nourish my body and protect my mental health. 

Wake up
I generally wake up at 5:45 - 6am and try and stay off my phone before I have left the house. This is not for mental health reasons but more because I don't have the time...especially in the morning! I then give Oscar his breakfast because he is a greedy puss and I make my bed which is something new-ish for me.



Coffee Time
I have recently switched to exhale coffee but I am still having a coffee first thing in the morning. I recently did some detoxing and I wanted to move to matcha in the morning but this is not possible for me as it upsets my stomach. One cup of exhale coffee has the same amount of antioxidants as 12 punnets of blueberry's so I figured starting my day with exhale is a pretty good way to get it going. I will generally make this about 6am and take it with me wherever I am going. 



Exercise 
My new workout routine is 5 times a week I do a different activity in the mornings. All mornings I leave the house around 6.30 to either get to yoga, running or a sunrise walk depending on how I am feeling. I have moved away from gym workouts recently and more towards using exercise to nourish my body which is working well. Classes are my new favourite things to do in the morning, you can read more about this HERE. 



Shower and Skincare 
Most mornings unless it is a hair washing day, I have a quick shower and do my skincare routine that usually consists of a cleanser, serum and moisturiser and takes under 3 minutes. I recently stripped back my skincare routine as it was getting confusing and expensive and tbh ... I see no difference. 



Healthy Breakfast 
This is the only thing I swear by in the morning that might be a little controversial... I like a BIG breakfast. My breakfasts usually consist of eggs, meat and either a slice of gluten free toast or a crumpet with some fruits or veggies and juice.  I would never touch porridge or smoothies in the morning unless it is a veggie juice as a large amount of carbs will dysregulate your blood sugar. Switch to eggs and bacon and thank me later.



What I Don't Do
I thought I would finish by saying what I don't and will never do in the morning, namely, lengthy skincare routines, reading and to do lists. In my opinion these all should be done the night before and not early in the morning. Doing a to-do list at night reduces stress and helps you sleep much better, as does a relaxing skincare routine. I would also advise on packing your gym bag and choosing your gym clothes the night before ... this will seriously help in the morning.

I hope this has provided food for thought and inspiration to set a up a great morning routine ... if you don't have one already!





3 comments

Tay said...

I am taking your advice on no porrige and smoothies during morning breakfast. I used to do both but noticed I was feeling off. great tips

Ethical Bunny said...

100% this is one of the best changes you can make in the morning! I used to get hungry by 10 but now I can last till lunch with no snacks :) xx

Yuliya said...

The right start to the morning!