Recycled Plastic Trainers? Yes Please!

Health and fitness is a big part of my life and although my workouts have changed significantly over the past couple of years, I am still wedded to the concept of movement as medicine. I try and move my body daily, regardless of if it is through yoga, walking in the countryside or barre class keeping active is really important for me.

Sustainable active wear that can accompany me through endless stretching and leaping is still something I am passionate about, so I was very excited when Shu Da Living offered to send me a pair of their sustainable 'flyknit' trainers to try. 


Background 

Shu Da started in 2019 and was set up by Lawrence who worked in the footwear manufacturing industry for 17 years but became disillusioned with the fast fashion culture. He decided to set up Shu Da to focus on durable sustainable footwear which is also long lasting. Starting his own business allowed Lawrence to build the brand and introduce the change that he wanted to see in the industry; through creating Shuda he could make the decisions needed to encourage more change and show that change is possible. 


Sustainable Trainers 

So how sustainable is Shuda? Well, the upper part of the shoe is made from 5 recycled plastic bottles and the sole is made from recycled rubber! This year the soles will be transitioning from recycled rubber however to sugar cane for all the Shu Da trainers - which sounds interesting to me.

At present all of their factories are SMETA audited and GRS certified so the recycled materials can be traced back to their source and the labor conditions of workers are monitored. Although this is great, what I love about Shu Da is Lawrences passion for bringing manufacturing back to the UK which is their ultimate goal. Making clothing in the UK is an important part of being sustainable and it also supports the local economy. Lawrence is passionate about providing jobs for people in the UK and reversing the decline in manufacturing. This will also reduce air miles and the carbon footprint for Shu Da slippers and trainers - both of which are important to consumers (including me). 

Shu Da also promote sustainability through producing replacement insoles for their slippers to prolong the life of the slippers and allowing them to be kept in tip top condition. Longevity and quality is one of the most important factors when selecting a more sustainable fashion choice as, if the quality is not there, and the item cant be repaired, customers ultimately will have to throw their shoes away.

My Thoughts

When I was offered to try the Shu Da Trainers I knew at once it had to be the pink Jessica trainers! After overhauling all my active-wear over the part couple of years, I wanted to inject some more femininity into my gym and workout outfits. 

Pink Jessica trainers which are designed for light activities such as the gym yoga or jogging; for my review I have tested them in all three and in classes and I would have to agree that they are suitable for light exercise. The Shu Da trainers are very comfortable and the soles are soft but with slightly more support than my All Birds. The new EVA soles are made for durability and bounce and they feel very light underfoot during a class!

They are perfect for the gym and classes however I would say the lack of laces and the soft material makes them unsuitable for activities on uneven surfaces. You can jog in the trainers comfortably in town or in a gym but they are not suitable for trail running or hiking.

Where I feel that they perform best is in high energy classes such as Body Pump or Body Combat or in the gym. They are very comfortable for bouncing and jumping around in or for weight training. The minimal design and slightly lower price points makes for a more accessible trainer when compared to other sustainable brands. Sustainable brands are often quite expensive and out of reach of many consumers, however over the last couple of years I have seen brands popping up with slightly lower price points which I see as a positive.

Overall I felt like they were a good choice for someone new to sustainable fashion or a person wanting a good feminine looking trainer to wear in the gym or casually. I love the pink colour as it adds a touch of the feminine to the trainers and I will be wearing them to every barre class for the foreseeable! 








No comments