One year on - How ethical is my closet?

This fashion revolution week I thought I would have a look in my wardrobe and analyze... How cruel is my closet? After a just over a year of promising to change my unsuitable ways... How much has my closet actually changed? How ethical is it now?

Even though I promised myself a year ago that I would do my best to shop ethically from now on... I don’t actually have that many ethical clothing brands in my closet. Looking through the small section of my wardrobe that I don’t have in storage, I would now say around a third is ethically purchased but I have less than five ethical brands. I would then say about another third is investment pieces that I have splurged on, which I also consider to be ‘ethical’ as they are pieces to be worn for 10 years or more (in my eyes these investments are slow fashion as they are classics that you intend to wear for the rest of your life).

Most of my ethical shopping, however, happens when I buy things second hand from a charity shop or depop as this is the cheapest way to shop ethically. This means that I don’t have to stop shopping from fast fashion brands it just means the money goes to charity or to a sassy girl on depop rather than going out of the country into a large corporation’s pocket.
(Side note this is another issue that I don’t feel is mentioned enough, large fast fashion companies dodge tax in this country while using our infrastructure etc! So I would rather my money go into the pocket of someone local that taken out of the country with an unethical company)

I defiantly think my wardrobe has at this time slightly matured and the amount of basics pieces that I have has increased, allowing me to create more outfits that are better put together. There are still one or two things I would like to add in but most of them I will find thrifting to save pennies and help charities at the same time.


Another change in my wardrobe over the past year is the number of clothes that have ripped or torn and needed repair. Now, this may sound like a bad thing but I’m actually quite proud of myself that I’m using and wearing things this much! Soo many clothes just sit in our wardrobes unworn and unloved, they were made for us to wear use and enjoy not to gather dust. I’m sure I will look forward to fixing them all at some point... probably in front of a Real Housewives episode.

The main area that hasn’t really improved for me is my activewear and underwear.  Both of these I have personally really struggled with; as per my previous post there are ethical activewear companies out there, but they are very expensive and mainly aimed at yoga or light exercise not weight lifting. The main way I have tried to get around this is just by trying to not buy anything at all bar the odd ethical treat from pepper and Maine. I feel like as my back gets better and my training picks up however this will become a real problem when I’m working out 6 times a week again (I’m currently on four).
Underwear is also an issue, as most underwear that is ethically made is very expensive and very ugly. The pieces I have found that are bearable are usually completely out of my price range and no underwire. This is something I have really struggled with shopping ethically for... I have the odd pair of bamboo socks but I just find it really hard to find something that’s suitable. As above I have just resorted to avoiding purchasing for a while to slow my consumption of none ethical panties!


I think over the past year my wardrobe has changed slightly, I feel like my style and the pieces in it have got better; whilst in contrast, it has cost me less. I think I would like to get a couple of new ethical organic cotton basics and one or two things for summer from an ethical brand. Apart from this, I will be focusing on not buying unethical activewear and underwear which are the two areas I still have really faltered or caved mainly due to the price and accessibility/quality issues.

No comments