5 Thinks to Think About This Before You Buy That Dress

When people go shopping for new clothes, they usually only think about the style and the price of a new item, I know I did!

Since I started my journey with slow fashion, I've found that there are so many other things to consider before you buy an item of clothing and work out if it is right for your wardrobe. Although style and price are important factors, when you start to make more considered fashion and style choices, there is quite a bit more that I now like to consider. These are things to think about beyond what you see in the shop and more about where the dress came from, who made it and its journey in to get to the shelf.



1. What is the dress made out of?
Cotton, Silk or polyester? Looking at the material that clothes are made out of is important not only because of the issues around the longevity of the item. Certain fabrics like cotton take 2700L of water to grow enough cotton for one t-shirt! Also, the large amounts of pesticides a cotton plant requires, along with the prevalence of GMO cotton should be a huge concern when you are considering what clothes to buy. Bamboo can be a good substitute for cotton and as it needs less water and is faster growing!

Another consideration is the complications around washing synthetic fibers, as when they are washed they release plastic microfibers into our water system. This enhances the prevalence of plastic pollution which is a major concern!


2. Who made the dress?

This is something that often receives more attention, especially from campaigns like Fashion Revolution, who focus on the welfare of people who make our clothes. When you go shopping it can be useful to do a bit of research before hand and try and find out what brands have a transparent supply-chain.  This is usually quite difficult to find if you are shopping on the high-street but very easy to do online! 


3. Where was it made?
Supporting local design and business is at the heart of the sustainable fashion movement and is central to ethical trade. Buying something that has been made and designed locally shows your support for local people and artisans, keeps money in the local economy and promotes independent business.

If something has typically been made in Bangladesh or Cambodia, it will also usually be low quality and wont last as long. If you buy something that has been locally made usually more time has been taken over the product to create a higher quality bespoke item that will last for years.



4. Do you need it? Is there something else you could wear instead?

This is a question that I like to ask myself before I even go shopping. Do I actually need what I'm going out to buy or could I just wear something I already have? Yes we all love a new look and something to make us feel good, but we don't really NEED new things.

Another alternative option could be borrowing something from someone else or renting a dress for a holiday or special occasion! 


5. Dose it fit your style and will you wear it again?

This is something that I feel I often overlook, but when you I something new I always like to think how much wear will I actually get out of this.. can it be dressed up or down? How much do I really like it... can you wear it in different seasons?


Asking these questions always makes sure you make a good choice and choose something you will love and wear for years. To often even when shopping for sustainable items it is still easy to over-consume and make bad purchasing decisions! Thinking more about need and style along with asking 'Who Made My Clothes' is a great way of curating a more sustainable wardrobe filled with items you love. 

Make sure you give my blog a follow to keep up with my ethical journey!

1 comment

Panty Buns said...

Being a vegetarian and LOVING feminine fashions, perhaps it should not come as a surprise that I love your fashion taste! I have to admit that prior to reading a number of your blog posts I had not been putting enough thought into the origins and composition of the clothing I buy.
P.S.: You look extremely attractive wearing the wonderfully feminine dresses in the outfit photos above - absolutely stunningly gorgeous! xx <3 :-)