10 British Style Staples to See You Through Spring in The UK

 As a big advocate for slow fashion, investing in my wardrobe staples and finding my own style has always helped me navigate through the seasons. Spring can be a tricky time in the UK and we never quite know what weather we will get from one day to the next. Although most people when they think of  typically 'British Style Staples' think of big coats, wellies and tweed I personally refuse to see how these are only staples for a winter wardrobe. 

British style staples that are easily transitions can lead you through the Spring and right through to the end of Summer in the UK. There is no need to pack away an old wax jacket or pair of wellies when they can be easily re-styled for warmer weather. This is why I always consider British style to be so eternal and transitional - it can be restyled for any event come rain or shine!

1. Wax Jacket

One of my favorite things of all time! Wax jackets are shower proof and the perfect item for a British Springtime! They are also so sturdy that they can last longer than a lifetime (if you get a quality brand!).


2. Wellies

A good pair of wellies is essential in the UK (especially right now!) and can be styled up or down depending on the occasion! One of my favorite brands for a sustainable version is Gumleaf who are made in Norfolk or Aigle who make (most) of their shoes in France from natural rubber!


3. White Dress

"When I was a waitress, wearing a white dress" I love love love all the milkmaid and frilly dresses that have come back in fashion recently! I also think they can be a good addition to a slow fashion or country wardrobe as they can be dressed up or down so easily! My favorite sustainable brand for dresses is where I found the one below, Arnhem. 


4. White jeans

If you go to the countryside in Spring in the UK you will see a lot of white jeans. Warm but light, I have seen some great examples of how to style these well. Personally I don't wear white jeans as I am too messy, but I love the look on other ladies especially if they are sustainable like the ones from Everlane!

5. Shirt Dress

Another item I love to wear during the Spring is a shirt dress -especially with wellies and a wax jacket! My favorite ones are vintage Ralph Lauren or Organic cotton ones to be soft on skin.

6. Sky Blue Shirt

A must for the Spring! I always see so many beautiful stylings of blue shirts like the one below from Alexa Chung. They look beautiful with white jeans or chinos like the ones below! 


7. Fedora

I have been trying to incorporate more hats into my wardrobe including a green fedora for Winter. However I love the beige and white fedoras for the summer! My favorite place for fedoras for a good price is Mackenzie and George who make their products in Britain.


8. Camel Trousers

For if you are sick of wearing jeans like I am most of the time then camel trousers are an excellent alternative - especially for the spring! Mine are thrifted but there are some lovely options like these from Thought Clothing

9. Linen Shorts

I love Anna Bey and often will make style decisions based on her advice. In her summer essentials video, she mentioned having a pair of pale shorts for summer to wear instead of denim ones. Since I started looking I found so many lovely linen shorts and outfit ideas that were so perfect for Spring/Summer. Although they don't have the same elegance as a more tailored short I love the soft natural look that they give outfits and recently purchased a pair from TWO THIRDS one of my favorite sustainable brands. 

10. Silk Scarf 

One of my favorite accessories for the Spring is a neck scarf which brightens up any outfit. One of my favorite brands is Fable England who make very sweet bags and scarves from recycled materials. They are timeless, classic and the company partners with Make it Wild to offset 70 tonnes of CO2 each year!








No comments