Why I don't have a capsule wardrobe - Sustainable fashion edit

For as long as I can remember I have been obsessed with fashion and I spent long hours growing up pouring though Vogue looking in awe at the eclectic catwalk shows and latest designer creations. I love the creativity of designers the way they turn something functional into decedent pieces of art.

Although I decided to stop buying fast fashion and build a more conscious and thoughtful wardrobe I still love the catwalk shows and the beautiful pieces that designers create; in fact, I see the ethical fashion movement as a way of returning more towards this type of fashion. Both high fashion and ethical fashion support the creativity of designers, better-made pieces, unique styles and thoughtful purchasing decisions.

This is why, although I love the Scandinavian simplicity of the capsule wardrobe I know it would never be something I could/would do. From when I started this journey with ethical fashion, I have been making more dynamic fashion choices, choosing neutral pieces that will last a lifetime while mostly shopping secondhand. However, although this has helped me get dressed in the morning and create better outfits I still can't resist the temptation of a vintage silk shirt, intricately embroidered coat or the odd designer purchase.
I know I'm in the minority of people who believe that you can have a wider selection of outfits and still shop ethically, but if you are shopping secondhand I really don't see the harm. Style and fashion should still be about expression, even when you are choosing timeless and thoughtful pieces and I refuse to see them as mutually exclusive concepts.

I'm by no means insulting people who like/have a capsule wardrobe and I do think we live in a society where consumption is out of control, but I don't think it is for me.

This has, however, led me to an overstuffed wardrobe that I don't want to part with. I have had a recent intense clearout and depop session to try and get some closet coordination though and it was relatively successful. Something that really helped me part with things is looking at it and thinking do I really want this? Or would I rather have a fiver? Quite often surprisingly, I would rather have a fiver. 

Since going through my wardrobe I have felt a slight sense of relief, like a weight has been lifted and I definitely can see what I have now. I think this feeling will probably intensify when everything is sold! It is still by no means a capsule wardrobe and the odd mix of style is still ever present, but there is definitely more order which I think if like me you love clothes, is the best you can hope for!







No comments