What I ate and drank in Barcelona - Gluten and Dairy Free


I went to Spain just before Christmas. This was my first time in Barcelona and I wanted to share with you all what I ate there that was dairy and gluten free. I found it hard to find information before I went so I hope this helps if you are looking for some nice options for food while you are out there!

The first place is Amorino, where they do lovely vegan ice creams shaped like a flower. I have always found it easier to find vegan ice cream in Spain than anywhere else I am not sure why... I had choccy and raspberry (and gave away the cone)


Our meal on the first night was at a lovely place called Tapeo that was perfect for Tapas and sangria. The staff are all very clued up on gluten and dairy free things so it wasn't hard to to find options I could enjoy with some help from our waiter. The sangria was pretty good too! We ended up going for honey roast ribs, mackerel, patatas bravas and a truffle mayo and Iberian ham burger.






Another one of my favorite places that we ate on this trip was Bodega la tinaja. A small hole in the wall with hams hanging along their stone walls and the biggest bottles of wine I have ever seen. I feel like this is what eating in Barcelona should be like...
I forgot to take a picture of the meal but there was a lot of Iberian ham, potato and asparagus. The staff were lovely and the gins are huge so look out!



This was a bar near where we stayed that I would recommend, excellent cocktails with a down to earth vibe. I liked the fact that the cocktails ere inventive and interesting and I enjoyed watching an olive freeze a liquid... interesting! Another bar I liked that we went to was Dr Stravinskis but if you go make sure you sit by the bar!



Casa Angela was another favorite place that we ate in Barcelona especially for tapas. Right behind the Segrada Familia you pay for the location but the food is lovely! Prawns patatas bravas and some chorizo cooked in cider it was lovely! If you go here don't miss out on the prawns they are huge and very fresh!






One afternoon we spent looking around the La Boqueria market and we got some nibbles at the same time.  The fresh juices here are lovely and if you go further in you can get one for about one Euro. The ham was also brilliant and we found a place that gave you a little cone of different hams! Unfortunately there was lumps of cheese and little bread sticks in the cone but as I am not that sensitive I just passed those on! There was lots of other foods there to try and I would highly recommend going just for a look around!





On the first day I was struggling a bit to find something to eat and we ended up at this place. I am not sure, but I think it is part of a chain; the one we went to was at Passeig de Sant Joan, 46, 08010 Barcelona, Spain and it was delicious! The food was right up my street and it was easy to get almond milk and gluten free bread etc. The staff were helpful and new what was in the food! We both had delicious eggs and shared a sweet potato patatas bravas! Mmm




On the night before the last we decided to go out to a more international place to get away from all the Iberian ham, so we went to Bananas. It is modern inside and they sell world food. So American, Mexican and Thai; I decided to go for nachos without the cheese as I thought this would be fine as the menu did not day that it came with anything else. When my food came I was annoyed to see it had cream on it and the waiter had not mentioned it and nor had the menu. The food was nice but it was not clearly labeled so if you go here I would be really clear and ask a lot of questions!




Somewhere that we stopped for a snack was a small noodle bar called Wok and Boa. We found this down a side street in an area just off Las Ramblas and I personally was very impressed! I often fall back to Asian food abroad and rice noodles are an easy way to avoid gluten. There menus are in English which and you build your own box, which makes avoiding certain things easy. I would suggest as a quick easy and cheap place to eat if you are vegan as there were some lovely vegan options on the menu. 




The last meal we had was this paella the night before we left in another tapas bar. Catalonia is not known for it's paella but at this point I was fed up of eating ham and I wanted something wholesome. It is also a good dish to ask for if you are avoiding diary and gluten!

(Note: This is the only place where I was concerned the bravas has dairy in it so be warned!)




This was my gluten free and dairy free brecky that I got from Funky Bakers near where I was staying. For some reason I keep telling myself I like chia seeds when I don't. Other than that they had some good gluten free and vegan options!



No comments