Natural and cruelty free hair care essentials that are under £5.00!!

One of the things I cant abide is damaged hair. Its awful to admit but its one of the first things I look at and when my hairs not looking healthy it really bothers me. Since I began my Cruelty-free and green beauty journey one of the most important things for me was finding natural hair care that really works. Obviously I want the products to be cruelty free palm oil free, without silicone and parabens… but I also want products that really work. Generally I find most things quite disappointing, the last hair product that actually really impressed me was a small glass bottle of pure argon oil I bought from a perfume shop in Marrakesh.

Products I pick up from boots are generally very low quality and irritate my scalp.. I also find that most products either strip your hair of all oils and softness making it dry or coat it in a strange coating (a la Treseme). Also, so many products contain dangerous toxic chemicals I don’t know why on earth I should even pay for them. As my old hairdresser once said ‘you are a peacock and your hair is the feathers’ take care of it. Although I despise L'Oreal, believe them when they say your hair is worth it. 


OK, rant over I just wanted to share some of my top hair care products that I have been using this year (one of the worst hair years of my life). All of these products are under £5.00 and are very easy to get hold of and personally I think they are great value for money.


1. Coconut oil


Amazing for hair skin and nails I literally can't live with out this! Really soothing and gentle if you are sensitive like me and it can be bought from your local supermarket for under £5.00. Generally I  would go for an organic one if possible but if not there are plenty of others out their. The only thing I would say is make sure it is 100% coconut oil on the back and doesn't contain anything else that might irritate your skin.


2. Lee Stafford Coco loco


This is my favourite Cruelty-free hair protection spray as it is the only one that seems to work and also not cost £30.00. Works well and smells good but some ingredients are questionable. 


3. Shampoo


If you follow my blog you will have seen my struggles with a sore scalp and I actually think I'm narrowing in on one of the issues. I switched to Lush shampoo bars when they came out to cut down on plastics but even they have lots of natural ingredients I still had scalp issues. I then found out many of them have SLS in them which CAN be a skin irritant. After I used my last lot of Lush shampoos I decided to look for something without SLS in it to see if that was the problem. I found these two in from the organic shop in Tesco oddly enough and was pleasantly surprised. They have natural and organic ingredients and also don't contain any SLS. It has slightly helped cutting this out and I am fairly happy with the results even though it is slightly drying on my ends. You can pick up both shampoo and conditioner for £4.00 (so you don't have to break the bank to be a little more ethical :)) They are also cruelty-free, many products are vegan and they carry the Soil Association Natural Certification. 


4. Scalp massage


I think these are so loved yet how many people actually have one? They feel amazing and help stimulate hair growth and blood flow to the scalp. Also these can help with a sore head if like me you have hick hair that is up all day this really helps!


Obviously nothing can make up for bad diet(.. which I am really struggling with at the moment) but good products are important too! I hope you enjoyed my little list and please comment below if you have any other good ones you would like to share!


No comments